[AMC-List] AMX grille

  Russ, I figured you probably knew about how the
"foam grille" would be used, and also that most of the
people who contribute to the list would also.  I was
just trying to clear that up for anyone out there who
might have been uninformed about how these things
work.  On a similar note, there is also a process they
used to call "onion skin" at the tech companies I used
to contract with.  In this method, a vat of resin is
used for the CNC work.  A laser focuses at a certain
depth in the vat, and heats the resin in the shape of
the part. This process is repeated layer after layer
until a finished resin replica is reproduced.
  Someone also commented on the CNC process, asking if
it meant it had to be done in metal.  Strictly
speaking, no, it does not.  CNC simply means Computer
Numerical Control.  Any process which uses a
coordinate system to produce parts can use the CNC
methodology.  Some high-tech plastics, and lamination
technology like Carbon Fiber and Kevlar also use CNC
systems to finish out the part.  At one time, I did a
contract turning contact lenses on a lathe.  I am sure
Nick Alfano could clarify further as far as common
processes are concerned on one of these grilles, as he
is at least current in the machine shop industry.
Personally, I think a painted metal grille could be
made indistinguishable from plastic in a fairly close
inspection.  It could also be developed into a
reasonably accurate and relatively inexpensive
process.
mike