Re: [AMC-List] Hinge Bushing Surprise

Transition years are hard to call! Cars are sold by model year, but
some parts (such as engines) are built by calendar year. So early 77
models (built September-December 76) may have 76 model parts. The
factory parts books don't always make that distinction, though
sometimes they will list two types of a part and what VIN or final
assembly number range they fit. Sometimes. Often just a few cars were
made with the remaining inventory that happened to be still on the line
and not changed out yet.

Aftermarket parts are a totally different story. They try to
consolidate as many part numbers as possible to reduce inventory,
sometimes with disastrous results. The 196 water pump, for example. One
year should fit all, right? There were 3-4 different pumps used, the
early one with four bolts (56-57, maybe 58), the others with five. They
interchange flathead to OHV in the years both were made, but the water
pump housing is different (outlet location) between American and
Classic, and the shafts are different lengths between the American and
Classic. So be careful when ordering one!