Re: [AMC-List] Duraspark parts problem, was Trunnion installation/help w

Re: [AMC-List] Duraspark parts problem, was Trunnion installation/help wanted

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Ken Ames wrote:

> Concerning the section on this page about the TFI upgrade, the 300 Ford 6 is 4.9
> litres, not 3.8.

Thanks, I'll fix that.

> Also, there is an easier upgrade to the Motorcraft ignition that looks more
> stock than the TFI. Ford has a stock looking high-voltage coil that one can use
> insead and it fits the AMC bracket. Add the large cap and wires, etc. and away
> you go.

The big square TFI coil is a very high output coil, and it's
matched to the Duraspark box. IU have no idea how it compares
to the coil your'e talking about, which would be much easier
to install.

I'm having a hell of a time with something I thought would be a
no-brainer -- cap and rotor! The Ford TFI type, for the AMC six.

Caps are expensive! Bought one plus a rotor. Installed (this was
nearly 2 months ago now, I've been really busy), did mild tuneup,
drove off...  horrible sputtering and breakup on the highway,
or anything over 2000 - 2500 rpm.

To make a long story short, the rotor tip did not meet the cap
contact! Nearly 1/4" away. The old part (still in there now)
the gap was 1/16" or so. Spark bridged the gap OK (good spark!)
but not enough spark to the plug at high speed. Idled just
fine though.

I carefully measured from the rotor axis center to the tip --
it's far too short. Both cap and reotor same brand, BLUE STREAK.
Brought 'em back to the store, we checked all of stock, all the
same, even the grey one (other brand, name forgotten). All the
same size!

Anyone else have this problem?