Re: [AMC-List] trannie interchange question

Re: [AMC-List] trannie interchange question

Keith
SNIP
 My question:  My neighbor has a 76 Hornet with a three speed manual.  I
have a T5 from a Spirit. Can we make the swap?  Are the bolt patterns
the
same, etc. etc.

Keith Woodcock
SNIP

Maybe, yes or no! How's that for being specific.
If the T5 is from a 4 cylinder Spirit, No!
However if it is a 4 cylinder Spirit T5 and you have the bell housing,
you can use that to install a small block Chevy V8 but it would probably
grenade the transmission.
If The T5 is from an I-6 and you have the bell housing it is pretty much
a bolt in on the Hornet. You would have to make a hole in the floor
board and fabricate a rear transmission mount and deal with the
speedometer drive. If you do not have the bell housing it is another
story.
Option 1, find a sr4, T4 or T5 equipped donor car and use the bell
housing and anything else that you can unbolt. This of course means that
you are looking for an I-6 or V8 donor car. No I-4 cars.
Option 2, maybe you are going to be lucky enough to discover that Hornet
is using a Multi-bell bell housing which you can then use to bolt up the
T-5 to the Hornet motor.
In either case you will need a clutch disc. with the proper number of
spines on it, a pilot bearing to fit the T5, a properly sized input
bearing retainer for the multi-bell bell housing application and still
make a rear transmission mount, deal with the speedometer cable and
drive shaft issues.
It is not difficult, it just takes a bit of work.
John.