Re: [AMC-List] Brought home a Vigilante over the weekend...

From: msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Disclaimer: I am not trying to be a jerk with this reply.
>
> You are completely thinking in the wrong decade. It has a D27 front and what
> looks like a D53 rear and its really not suitable for wheeling, as the entire
> drivetrain would have to be replaced for me to have any confidence in it doing
> anything off the pavement and returning home under its own power. I'd rather
> break newer, common parts than the older unobtanium. I wouldn't feel comfotable
> wheeling a heavy rig like that on D44's, even.
>
> I don't know what "35's" you're referring to. Dana 35's? FSJ's never used
> D35's. They used a D30 front from 71-73.
>
> -Spro

Spro,4x4's i have limited knolage of compared to 2wd cars.and yes i meant Dana 35's .i thought the early FSJ's used em i stand corected knwoing that they used Dana'30's and if your uncomfortable with the 44's i mentioned ok how bout a 3/4 ton running gear  Dana 60 front and rear with the flipped shackles and a Dana 300 or NP 205 transfer case?Also while I agree about using a more reliable engine/trans combo whats so bad about the AMC 327? i thought in 4v form they were tough motors.I see traditional hot rodders revamping flatties and Ford guys running tried and true Y block V8's myself included with my 60 Effie.
Bart