Re: [AMC-List] Halogen Sealed Beam Headlights

Re: [AMC-List] Halogen Sealed Beam Headlights

" From: AMC74Hornet@xxxxxxxxx (Mr. AMC)
"
" Do the halogen sealed beams draw any more amperage than regular sealed
" beams? I don't want to cook the wiring. Also do they become hotter than
" regular sealed beams. I have plastic headlight doors in my orange Hornet
" and I don't want to melt or warp them. I have never use them so these
" questions may seem stupid but I had to ask.

by law headlights are supposed to be 55w or 60w max, regardless of
bulb type.  [xenon projectors are supposed to be 35w, which imho is
still too much]  sealed beam halogens would be fine and might even run
microscopically cooler, since they radiate more of their power as
light.  there are enhanced halogens that work afaik by coating the
lens with a heat mirror, trapping the radiant heat and letting them
run a 75w filament - with its light output - on 55w.  i would expect
these to be hotter since they can't radiate as much heat away and must
conduct it.

replaceable halogen bulbs can be had in several higher powers - 80w,
100w, 130w - but while you may get away with them it isn't strictly
legal.