Re: [AMC-List] Halogen Sealed Beam Headlights

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Mr. AMC wrote:

> Do the halogen sealed beams draw any more amperage than regular sealed
> beams? I don't want to cook the wiring. Also do they become hotter than
> regular sealed beams. I have plastic headlight doors in my orange Hornet
> and I don't want to melt or warp them. I have never use them so these
> questions may seem stupid but I had to ask.

I don't think they draw any more current, or get hotter, than
the old ones. They use a really hot filament inside a bulb
(inside the sealed housing) that contains a gas that slows
the burnout of the filament. I run them exclusively, and in
plastic-grilled cars (75 Gremlin) absolutely no problem.

I now run removable-bulb type headlamps (H4 bulbs I think).
Cibie makes good reflectors; you can get equiv. reflectors from
Summit. About $40/side for 8". Good ones have a half-moon light
pattern that puts all the light on the road, not in drivers
eyes. 55W lamps (more current) and I run relays and short, fat
wiring to the battery. Both the 63 Rambler and the Hornet. (In
the Rambler, the old headlight switch burned up, I had to rebuid
the contacts myself (desktop surgery) and ran relays to take the
load of the senile switch.  That all happened before the Cibies.