Re: [AMC-List] Band adjustment, little aluminum Borg Warner auto

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Ken Ames wrote:

> A few of mine have a similar symptom. If you let them idle in neutral for a few
> moments after startup and before moving, they won't slip while building pressure

If I keep it filled precisely to the mark, it's fine, meaning
the delay before engaging, after sitting for a week or two, is
about 1 second the first time. If fluid is low, it can be 3 -
4 seconds. The older BWs are VERY sensitive to fluid level.

> Other trannys of the same model don't need this.
> Must be an internal leakdown of some sort.
> I've heard that prolonged idling in park isn't good for the Chryco
> transmissions, better to do it in neutral as there is better oilflow and the
> above seems to bear that out.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've had really good luck with this
trans, even though it's small, air-cooled, and in a largeish car
(Classic wagon).