[AMC-List] Band adjustment, little aluminum Borg Warner auto

[AMC-List] Band adjustment, little aluminum Borg Warner auto

My old Rambler's trannie has a pan leak, so I'll drain and
replace filter and gasket. But while I'm in there I probably
should adjust the bands. I have no experience with auto
transmissions, though I'm otherwise competent.

I have a TSM, and will buy an inch/lb torque wrench (have only
big ft/lb), but the front servo info is a bit vague -- do I have
to remove the valve body or internal throttle linkage parts to
get to it?

Other than the (pretty substantial) pan leak, the trans works
fine; no slippage or bad shifts. The only problems seem to be
caused by low fluid; slow to go into D1 or D2 after sitting for
a week.  It'll leak out most of a pint in a month of sitting.
It was rebuilt a looong time ago (1990) but treated very,
very well (bi-annual fluid/filter change, adjustment).

Am I wasting my time thinking about adjustment? Changing the
filter seems a no-brainer since I'll have the pan off anyways.

Finding the right filter/gasket is a problem; I think my trans is
a 1965 M12 (it's been a long time), torque tube drive. rockauto
shows a WIX #58658, but the description in "more info" says
it's for a 727. Could be wrong "more info" or wrong part. I'll
keep looking.