[AMC-List] Motor Mounts on the six

Joe and all:

  I have had the drivetrain in and out of Molly five
times in recent months, and r&r with two other
Gremlins as  well.  One time I had a real devil of a
time in Molly(74 Gremlin 258) with new motor mounts
and trans mount.  After it was in, for some reason the
fan would just tip the shroud for some reason over
good road bumps.  It turned out that somehow in my
late night session, I had switched the mounting
plates(i.e. wrong side for passenger and driver side).
 Each side is unique, but can be bolted in backwards,
tilting the back of the motor up higher than it
belongs. VOILA' fan hits shroud at bottom.  As far as
the easy way to mount the motor, bolt the plates to
the rubber cushions(I'm not sure it makes any
difference on the little hinge part or L-shaped part,
I think it just goes down for access to the middle
bolt on the mounting plate).  Take the mount assembly,
and put it through the crossmember.  Loosely apply the
mouning nuts from under the crossmember.  Maybe 4-5
turns.  Then lower the motor between the plates, and
usually one side will line up first.  Start the plate
bolts slightly(Just a few threads).  You may have to
use a drift or screwdriver to get it to line up, but
be patient and work alternately on each side of the
car, and you'll be able to start all six pretty quick.
 Then tighten the plates. Lower the motor onto the
crossmember. Then mount the trans crossmember and
tighten the cushion.  Finally tighten the engine
crossmember nuts.
mike