Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission

" From: <francis.swygert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" The torque tube mount doesn't matter. The seal and output shaft is the
" same, torque tube or open driveline. You just have a big square flange
" on the back of the trans since it's made onto the tailshaft. On the OD,
" the flange comes off, but it's still holds the seal. Easy to swap to an
" open drive tailshaft though -- output shaft length is the same. I think
" it is for non-OD models also, that reduced parts inventory, but I can't
" be sure between years.

amc didn't always do what seems sensible from the outside...

" If this is a six cylinder model trans, it will bolt to the multi-pattern
" 77-80 bell. Otherwise it needs a T-10 bell. I think it's a different
" pattern than the T-15 used 67 and later. Andrew Hay might know for
" sure...

afaik --
the t-96 and -car- t-14 share pattern; short nose
the t-86/87/90, -jeep- t-14, and t-15 share pattern; long nose
the t-85/89 has a very t-10-like pattern but may not be identical
	this -may- also correspond to the pre-'64 ford pattern; it
	looks very similar and ford used both trannies.

the '66-'74 t-10 bell also has a t-15 pattern; the top two bolts are
shared.  i'd expect it's in a lot of early-'70s cjs.

there were rare pre-'72 h/d 6 bells with the t-86/t-15 pattern.

the t-14 was used with 6 and v8 as late as '76.  some time about '73
the rear spline was changed from 10 like the t-96 to 23[?] like the
tf904, but length was the same.

i have the [afaik] even rarer 'mexican' '64-'71 6 t-10 bell.  it
doesn't look anything like the v8 piece; although deep it has a broad
back face with ears that match the gm bolt pattern, in addition to the
amc t-10...