Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission wanted

" From: "Jim Boone" <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have a stock-rebuilt '73 360 that I want to put into my '67 Rebel Station
" Wagon.  Hate to do it in a way as the stock 232 runs really well and I get
" ~22mpg out of it.  But, I need more power as I'd like to have it tow-capable
" for my other car (the '69 American mentioned in the T5 post).
"
" I've been tossing around different transmission options.  I have both a 727
" and two 998's, but truth be told, I really dislike auto's.  Just a personal
" preference.
"
" I was thinking if I could find a V8 capable 3 sp that I could put behind
" that 360, and hook it up to my 3-on-the-tree somehow.  I have two sets of
" the stock t96 linkage.
"
" If someone has a good used trans out there, I'm interested.  I'd need the
" complete setup, bellhousing to yoke.  My crossmember would probably work,
" will have to see.  If it came out of a column shift car, the linkage would
" be nice, too.

i'd suggest a late-'70s t150 setup.  you could probably even use the
crossmember, and you'd be all set to drop in a toploader 4sp,
side-shifter o/d, or tremec if you ever decide to give the column
shifter up.

" I may still go with one of the automatics, and would probably be a smarter
" choice, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about this other way.

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" i didnt catch the name, but i saw someone was wanting a 3 spd that will
" hold up to a v8. i have a t86 3 speed with overdrive. it is in great
" shape. i have pics of the internal gears and all of it. i just bought
" it off of ebay, and decided to go with a t5 instead. it cost me $443
" shipped to my house. im not sure if its really worth that much. it is a
" fresh rebuild and never used since rebuilt. the overdrive has the
" torque tube mount on it. it was the factory option for the v8 ramblers
" is what i have been able to find. i have been told that my stock t96
" shift linkage would work so i imagine yours would also. i do not have a
" bellhousing or anything else. if you are interested let me know.

i think this would be a little light for the 360 especially with
towing.  it was used with v8s, 287s and 290s - in fact your rebel
could've been ordered with it - and it should bold straight up to the
square pattern on the t-10 bell.

" From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" For towing, you'd be hard pressed to beat the 727, Go with a low gear
" set for extra grunt if your rebuilding it IIRC they are not that
" expensive. That way you can keep Higher gears in the axle and still get
" the rig rolling.

i agree, the 727 is very beefy and bulletproof.

given that you're not in a heavy car and not towing a heavy car, a 998
built with a towing/rv setup could even work for you.

" For stick and towing, hmmmm AMC V-8 hookup, hmmmmm. If you want the
" column shift you could go to a T-10 or the heavy V-8 three speed. A
" friend had a Late 60's Chevy Pickup with a column shifted T-10 in it.
" It was way cool! The 4 forward gears where on the column. For reverse
" you put the column in neutral and pulled up on a knob sticking up thru
" a bushing in the floor! It was tucked close to the seat and almost
" invisible.

none of the amc t-10s have good gearing for tow service.  only the
t-10u used with early-'80s camaros [just prior to t5s] has a deep
enough first gear, but the input shaft is way too short and torque
capacity is still marginal.

there was a late-'60s chevy ban with a 4sp option.  this was the
first-gen platform with 90" wheelbase, so i don't see how it could've
been floorshifted...  but i don't know where you'd find the column
either.  i just mention it because it would be a neat stock-looking
swap into your rebel, and the wow factor of 4 on the tree...

" Most modern Manuals are going to require going to floor shift. A Z-code
" T-5 with an s-10 tailhousing would clear the bench nicely, get the 3:35
" first gear for towing.

i don't know that i'd want to press what is generally a light duty
tranny design [torque rating aside] in continuous high-load service.

" You could also get a low first geared 4 speed from a Jeep Or Ford pickup
" and use high rear axle gears. Most all of these trans are going to shift
" from the top plate on the trans though.

i don't know if ford pickup toploaders are geared that deeply - afaik
most of them are set up as 3+o/d [though you could run a deep axle] -
but swapping jeep t176/7/8 gears into a side-shifter toploader case is
routine.  add the 31-spline hd output shaft...