Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission wanted

" From: "Jim Boone" <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I also don't really want a floor shift if I can avoid it.  The idea of doing
" a 4 sp on the column like your friend's Cheby truck is interesting, never
" thought of that!  But, I just sold a good T10 combo as luck would have it.

just as well, i think.  the amc t10s are all performance oriented and
relatively close ratio, and even the later s3 super t10s weren't rated
that high in torque cap.

now, a toploader with jeep gears [3.52 1st] and maybe 31 spline
mainshaft would be well suited and hard to break...

" Something I do have, that I had intended to get rid of, is one of the "fake
" toploaders".  These were 4 speeds, but 4th was an OD, and were produced in
" the late 70's.  Mine has a "D7" tailshaft code, which is '77 in fordspeak,
" and was built in '77 or '78 from what I can find out.  These supposedly
" don't have alot of torque capability - they weren't built for performance -
" but they might have sufficient strength for what I want, not sure.  I
" haven't actually found any accurate torque ratings for them.

this would be excellent for some late-'70s amc owner who always wanted
a 3sp+o/d but only has the 3sp; it's a straight drop-in driveline wise.
[ummm if it's an iron cased side shifter, the srod input shaft is 1/2"
too long, though it's swappable]

ford also used 'fake toploaders' in pickups well into the '80s ['87?],
but they are almost a different box - larger bearings inside and out,
and gear ratios all slightly off suggesting stronger internals.  dunno
what engines they were used with, but offhand a fair chance they'd take
tow duty well.  you're still stuck with a floor shifter.

" I do have access to a free 200R4 that came out of a SS Monte Carlo - like an
" early-mid '80's car.  These supposedly were the good ones.  Not sure what it
" would take to make it worthy for my purposes.

advance adapters.  adapter ring made to allow gm th400s to serve in
place of jeep th400s, but also adapt any other gm auto and could also
mount stick bellhousing.  on your own for 200-4r flexplate though.
again a towing/rv buildup.  some folks consider these stronger than
700r4s.  btw they're the desired swap for older gms; same length/spline
as th350, same rear mount loc as th400.