Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission wanted

For towing, you'd be hard pressed to beat the 727, Go with a low gear set for extra grunt if your rebuilding it IIRC they are not that expensive. That way you can keep Higher gears in the axle and still get the rig rolling. For top of the line pulling and cruising throw in a Gear vendors overdrive! then you have a full 6 speed automatic! of course your wallet will be $2500-$3000 lighter by the time you buy the controller and everything.
   For stick and towing, hmmmm AMC V-8 hookup, hmmmmm. If you want the column shift you could go to a T-10 or the heavy V-8 three speed. A friend had a Late 60's Chevy Pickup with a column shifted T-10 in it. It was way cool! The 4 forward gears where on the column. For reverse you put the column in neutral and pulled up on a knob sticking up thru a bushing in the floor! It was tucked close to the seat and almost invisible.
  Most modern Manuals are going to require going to floor shift. A Z-code T-5 with an s-10 tailhousing would clear the bench nicely, get the 3:35 first gear for towing.
  You could also get a low first geared 4 speed from a Jeep Or Ford pickup and use high rear axle gears. Most all of these trans are going to shift from the top plate on the trans though.
  Well, I'm not building it, so I'll let others chime in on this one!
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net