Re: [AMC-List] Water Temp Sender Location.

"Date: Friday, June 9, 2006 05:48 AM
From: Mr. AMC <AMC74Hornet@xxxxxxxxx>
Frank I have the five bladed factory fan in the orange car with the
factory shroud. In the cooler running yellow car I have a 7 blade
Flexi-lite fan and no shroud. Same engines, carbs adjusted properly, and
timing set the same. Maybe you are right and the A/C condenser is
blocked with dirt and cutting down the amount of air flow. I will have
to blow it out. I should be easy as the grill is still not back in yet.
The car also has a new water pump, 180 degree thermostat, the cooling
system was chemically flushed after I got got the car and replaced the
bad heater core and installed a boiled out 78 Concord A/C radiator and a
coolant recovery tank. The previous owner had removed the thermostat as
he said it would run hot when the A/C was on. But he was a so called
mechanic and as I worked on the car I saw all the jury rigging he did.
What a butcher. I will see about adding a small auxiliary electrical fan
and an auxiliary tranny oil cooled by passing the one in the bottom of
the radiator and adding a 2 quart larger tranny oil pan to help cool
things off a little more."

Will the seven blade Flexi-Lite fan fit the factory shroud? That might
be your best bet for cooling. I'll bet the factory clutch is going bad
and that's causing the higher temps. It's common for those clutch fans
to start slipping with age, and you are talking about a 30+ year old
car. I'd bet it's been slipping for the last 10+ years. A new clutch
would do the trick if you want to keep it stock, but I'd go with the
Flexi-Lite plastic fan if it fits the factory shroud.

The auxiliary tranny cooler will help. I run a largish one alone (no
radiator tank cooler) with my AW-4 with no problems. Just remember that
they are sized to work with the in radiator cooler, they are usually
mounted in the return line after the radiator. If you're just using the
cooler get the next size up from the recommended size for your car. Or
just buy one for a V-8 truck w/tow package. The extra couple quarts will
help also, but I wouldn't go that far. The cooler will add about a quart
of fluid and should be plenty extra cooling capacity, especially if the
fan clutch is slipping as I suspect. That's if the car has a fan
clutch...