Re: [AMC-List] Water Temp Sender Location

Date: Thursday, June 8, 2006 12:18 PM
From: Mr. AMC <AMC74Hornet@xxxxxxxxx>
Since this subject has come up recently. I have a question. On both my
74 258 Hornet's the factory water temp sender is in the front of the
head. There is no other spot to put the after market gauge sender except
where that pollution vacuum advanced timing valve is at the drivers side
of the block behind the exhaust manifold. Why is there is a big
temperature difference between the two locations on my orange car and
not so big a difference on my yellow car with the same gauge and sender?
And there is no fan shroud on my yellow car and one in the orange car.
"Doc"

----------------

Doc, on the early cars only AC or HD cooling package cars came with a
fan shroud. They usually had a seven blade cooling fan also, or a five
blade on those that usually had a four blade (50s-mid 60s car). I would
think the difference in cooling on your cars would be opposite -- the
fan shroud improves the efficiency of the radiator by pulling more air
through a larger area, so the water coming in is cooler, making the
water at the mid block location cooler as well. Could be a partial
blockage in the block of one car, or a difference in timing or other
tuning specs. Could be that the AC evaporator is blocking air flow
enough to make the water a bit hotter too. Did you check temps with the
AC on or not? There are other minor differences in the cars, and could
just be age.