Re: [AMC-List] Water Temp Sender Location

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 13:18 -0400, Mr. AMC wrote:

> Since this subject has come up recently. I have a question. On both my
> 74 258 Hornet's the factory water temp sender is in the front of the
> head. There is no other spot to put the after market gauge sender except
> where that pollution vacuum advanced timing valve is at the drivers side
> of the block behind the exhaust manifold. Why is there is a big
> temperature difference between the two locations on my orange car and
> not so big a difference on my yellow car with the same gauge and sender?
> And there is no fan shroud on my yellow car and one in the orange car.

So what is the temp. difference, in round numbers? I'm curious too...

I would think the head temps would be higher than lower down in the
block; most of the heat goes out through the head; that's where
combustion is of course but the expanded gases down in the falling
cylinder have the heat sucked out. Water flow is suckier in the head
too.

You might have a hot spot, normal or otherwise. All I know is, temp.
distribution in a cylinder head is complicated :-)