[AMC-List] Water Temp Sender Location

Since this subject has come up recently. I have a question. On both my
74 258 Hornet's the factory water temp sender is in the front of the
head. There is no other spot to put the after market gauge sender except
where that pollution vacuum advanced timing valve is at the drivers side
of the block behind the exhaust manifold. Why is there is a big
temperature difference between the two locations on my orange car and
not so big a difference on my yellow car with the same gauge and sender?
And there is no fan shroud on my yellow car and one in the orange car.
"Doc"