Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

I have to second Tom's assesment. The differential and ring gears are
the same as open driveshaft setups and the later D35, but the pinion
shaft is totally different. The shaft is smaller in diameter than an
open driveshaft axle since it doesn't have to be drilled for a bolt to
hold a yoke on. I'm not sure if the pinion shaft bearings are the same
or not, but would think they are smaller. The torque tube axle can't
easily be converted to open either. It's possible, but would take a lot
of work. I'd replace with a "big three" axle first.

I have been told that splines changed on the axles over the years. The
side gears have to be matched to axle splines, of course.

In general I wouldn't try to change gears in a torque tube axle (or the
196/199 equipped Americans with the tapered thread rear yoke). Swap
axles, or if you must change gears try to find a good used set. The
later model axles (66-69 American, 67+ big cars) can still be serviced
with new parts.

On May 30, 2006 Tom Jennings wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 06:33, d stohler wrote:
>
> >   i have been told its an amc model 15 axle i have in my
> >  62 classic.
>
> They may not be available in Iraq... but you need to have a
Technical