Re: [AMC-List] 10 inch front brake drums wanted

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 14:51, Jay wrote:

>  Backing plates used should not be a problem as I see
> it.

Since you'll have them off, you really should have the
shoe-contact-point spots filled in with weld and ground flat. It's
normal to wear grooves after decades of use.

The shoes won't sit flat and parallel to the drum surfaces; the shoes
will catch on the drums as they operate, making noises; shoes will wear
out twice as fast (since they are not parallel, the closes spot to the
drum wears the most).

Get anyone with a MIG welder to just fill up the grooves with a bead of
metal; you can grind them flat enough with an abrasive disk in a 3/8"
electric drill.