Re: [AMC-List] (rear) Discs on a Classic

On May 18, 2006 russ hathaway wrote:

> I mentioned the torque tube set up on the Classic as I
> assumed the poster was getting a non-AMC rear for the
> discs. Chances are the 62 Classic springs won't line
> up to the donor rear, so they will have to contend
> with that. Also they will have to hook up some sort of
> torque link or control arm, the 4-link aftermarket
> set-up looks promising. If you go the Fomoco route you
> might consider a Mustang II front end. You can use the
> Fomoco brakes and upgrade to the purty 13" colored
> rotors out there, put some gangster 17's on and you
> are profiling.......russ

This isn't a problem on the Classic. The springs sit over the rear axle.
The stock spring seats rest on top of the axle tubes and are held on by
a single 3/8" x 1/2" long fine thread bolt. The top of the axle tube is
drilled and tapped for the bolt. Simply put the seat on the new axle. I
did that when running a Jeep D35 in my previous 63 Classic wagon.