Re: [AMC-List] amx disk brake kit for 62 classic

A: I don't have time to play with this stuff right now (or a 2WD AMC to put it on) but 2WD Grand Cherokee or Cherokee/Comanche brakes might just be the ticket.

From: markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] amx disk brake kit for 62 classic
To: amc-list@xxxxxxx
Cc: John Elle <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>

Now this is a well thought out answer!
I've looked into and am planning on low bucking some 12" discs
on the front of the American. As usual the project is stalled by
me doing to much at the same time.
But, On the front or rear without ebrake you can bling it up a
bit at a lower price by using 13" Mustang Bullett style rotors
and calipers. A pair of brand new Calipers can be had for less
than $200 from Summitt, figure $100 each for drilled slotted
rotors Then pads ETC: The mounting plates are easy to design and
most metal fab shops have neat things like Lazer and water jet
cutters now! Figure another $200-$300 to design and buy plates
After all this you will be looking at $1500 with misc and a lot
of time doing plate design and making it all fit. If you like
doing that kind of stuff go for it. Savoy64 or 64savoy on
AMCforums designed my plates, They mount 82-83 Concord/84-89 XJ
calipers using 84-89 XJ caliper brackets. These go over 99 up WJ
12" rotors redrilled to 4.5" pattern and will clear 16" wheels
easy and certain 15" wheels. I will have to sand down new brake
pads slightly as the rotor is thicker, but I prefer this over
turning down the new rotors. Since my American!
 has the Calipers in place I will have less then $200 in the
upgrade with new rotors! If I ever get down to installing them.
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net

Jim Blair, Seattle, WA '84 J10 Black Jack (getting lifted and stroked!), '73 J4000 304/TH400/QT tow truck http://www.virtualjeep.com