Re: [AMC-List] Funniest thing I have seen ina long time- ELECTRIC TURBOS

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 20:29, Frank Swygert wrote:

> I found this quote in the article, which explains why the remote turbo
> works -- pressure in the exhaust system (and volume of flow). Those
> thinking that the power is made by heat are just plain wrong. I never
> did understand how anyone can think that the heat makes the power in a
> turbo, it just doesn't make sense. I really don't see how heat
> increases efficiency either, since a cooler charge is denser and will
> create more power...

Actually fizzicks says so. The wasted energy in the exhaust is heat
energy -- why do you think it's exiting so fast! Gasoline + air + spark=
lots of heat which makes the gases get really big. If the exhaust
temperature was reduced (say, lots of refrigeration) to that of the
intake, the pressure would be the same too. Temperature makes the
pressure rise. Without the temp, no pressure.

Exhaust temp out of a turbo drops a lot too, representing the heat
energy extracted from the exhaust.