Re: [AMC-List] Funniest thing I have seen in along time- ELECTRIC TURBOS

Re: [AMC-List] Funniest thing I have seen in along time- ELECTRIC TURBOS!

Funniest thing is that there IS a real electric turbo. The thing draws
massive power to drive though. It doesn't porduce a lot of boost
either, and only at WOT IIRC. Something like 4-5 psi. Why only at (or
near) WOT? You'd have to control the rpm of the electric motor to ramp
up with the throttle, and that would cause a big heat build up in the
mottors and require a good bit of circuitry. When I was reading about
the thing I was thinking it cost about the same as a low end nitrous
kit, which would give more power, or even an STS remote turbo kit.

Here's a link to an article, and there is a link to the main site at
the end.
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight/

I found this quote in the article, which explains why the remote turbo
works -- pressure in the exhaust system (and volume of flow). Those
thinking that the power is made by heat are just plain wrong. I never
did understand how anyone can think that the heat makes the power in a
turbo, it just doesn't make sense. I really don't see how heat
increases efficiency either, since a cooler charge is denser and will
create more power...

"? Turbos are not free power, as some will claim. A turbo is a
turbine-driven supercharger and to drive something requires horsepower.
The turbine needs velocity, volume, heat and pressure to operate. *The
first three won't make any boost. It's pressure that makes boost.*
The first three help with greater efficiency. The pressure in a turbo
is measured by the difference in intake manifold pressure and exhaust
manifold pressure. This is referred to as the exhaust-to-intake
pressure ratio. Most turbos operate at a 2:1-to-3:1 ratio, meaning that
if 10 psi is in the intake manifold, the exhaust manifold will see 20
to 30 psi. (The GN operated on a 2.5:1 ratio and the 300ZXTT had a
2.7:1 ratio). Some racecars make PR better than 1:1, but they're still
making backpressure. Backpressure is a restriction, and a restriction
is not free power."

I bet the remote operates closer to 3:1 due to the distance between the
exhaust manifold and turbo, but then once the exhaust pipe is
pressurized it's good to go.

	http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/resource/turbo/electricturbo.asp