Re: [AMC-List] Afghanistan!

you have to admit, the H1 isn't a very practical street vehicle. Of
course I know it never has been, just a status symbol. I don't know
anyone who's actually used a civilian model for off-road work, though I
do know of a couple companies that bought some military surplus soft
skinned models and refurbished them.

There's only so much armor you can put on a Hummer! A direct hit from a
shaped charge is something they can't protect from and still make a
vehicle of that size. Those shaped charges (EFPs) were designed to
defeat light to medium tanks and personnel carriers with more armor
than a Hummer could possibly carry. The onlything they can do with a
the hummer is protect against small arms, shrapnel, and other indirect
fire. I doubt the armor is proof against anything larger than a 7.62
(30 caliber, as in 30-06) round. 50 calibers should penetrate,
especially if using armor piercing rounds (standard ball 50 might). The
problem was the original hummers had no armor at all, and they draw
lots of small arms frie when used as escort vehicles. There's a
compromise between mobility and protection that has to be drawn
somewhere. Hardened hummers are already losing a good bit of mobility,
can't afford to lose anymore!

On May 16, 2006 Mark Anthony Sproviero wrote:

> Only the civilian H1.  Military H1 production will continue to run
high.  I saw some of the newer models that contained some good design
changes while interviewing at AM General a couple months ago.  However,
they are still unaware of a lot of the threats to the vehicles.  I
tried to point out as many things as I could to them that I learned
while in Iraq last year.  I basically lived in an 1114 as a 31B and got
to see many different types of attack damage up close.

> Its too bad the military doesn't share more information with the
manufacturer.  They just give them requirements and not much else.
They weren't even familiar with what EFP's (explosive-formed
projectile) were or that they were being used to defeat 1114's.  :(