Re: [AMC-List] Rear end in a Classic

On May 16, 2006 russ hathaway wrote:
> Also remeber the Classic is a torque tube set up, so
> your gonna have to hang springs. Why not consider that
> 4-link set-up that Air Ride Tech has for the Mustang.....Russ

But you don't have to hang springs, use the stock ones. The spring sits
directly on the axle tubes in 56-66 big AMCs. The seat is held to the
tube by a 1/2" long 3/8" fine thread bolt. Just drill and tap the new
axle tubes in the right spot and put the stock springs back in (or
order stiffer ones). The bolt just keeps the spring seat from shifting
on the tube, the weight of the car really holds the spring in place.
The shocks keep the axle from going down far enough for the springs to
come out, and the brake lines.