Re: [AMC-List] amx disk brake kit for 62 classic

Re: [AMC-List] amx disk brake kit for 62 classic

I think that with all of the input from a number of knowledgeable people
it has been established that 4 wheel disc brakes are a doable situation
on a 1962 Rambler Classic. But I think that one more shot at answering
this is worth the time to write it because--------------
The author did not want just any disc brakes BUT those that had ?The
Look?
SNIP
im planning on running some 17" torque thrust wheels so i need "
something that will look good peeking thru the wheels.
SNIP
Now that is as good a reason for wanting certain components as any
reason can be so---------------
The front is easy, the original style Dunlop 4 piston disc brakes are
now in reproduction as stated earlier. Most if not all parts are now
available through AMC specialty vendors. Depending on what is needed,
from a Donor Car pull off everything back to the steering knuckle and
install on the front of the 1962 Rambler Classic.
This will give you the spindles and all other parts can be purchased as
repair parts if needed.
My guess as to cost would be between $1000 to $1500 depending on repairs
needed. The cost of powder coating for appearance can range widely but
East Wood can sell you materials and an old electric range can serve as
a backing oven. I have a full working set on my Donohue and for $1800 I
would remove everything and ship them to you. This would give me the
excuse to install the set of 1980 Spirit Disc brakes units that is
sitting on a shelf in my garage on the Donohue. I would even include the
2 extra sets of pucks and the package of soft parts if I can find them.
We all agreed that one option on the back was to install a MOPAR 8 ¾
axle. There are of course others. Just out of curiosity and doing a
little bit of internet searching I found that there were both rear disc
brake conversion kits for the MOPAR axle and that there were axles
available to convert the 4? bolt pattern to 4 ½? bolt pattern. One
manufacturer, Wilwood Heavy Duty Front and Rear Mopar Disc Brake
Conversion kits for Dodge, Plymouth, and Chrysler Cars WIL140-7144 Rear
Disc brake Mopar 8-3/4 & Dana 60 $618.75 had the disc brake hat drilled
for  both configuration. The 6 piston units were about a grand.
Custom axles such as Strange, Summers, Moser, etc. can be specified with
the larger lug pattern for the A-body housing.  Longer axles from a
larger vehicle may be cut and resplined to fit the shorter A-body axle.
Donors for this operation are C-bodies, D-bodies, trucks and vans with
the 8-3/4" axle and 4.5" BC.  Moser Engineering can perform the cut and
respline operation.  When selecting a donor axle shaft, look for one
that does not taper along its length.  Note: A-body 8-3/4" axles were
equipped with 10x1-3/4" drum brakes.  Replace these with 10x2-1/2" or
11-2-1/2" brakes and associated hardware from the donor vehicle or
similar.
This appears to be about $400.00 or so.
So it appears that you can do exactly what you want to do for some where
between $3500 and $5000 easily using almost all new over the counter
parts. Of course do not forget misc. expenses and a good estimate for
that is in the area of $500.00 -  $1000.00.
Now if some one really thinks these prices are out of line with reality,
check ?m out yourself and look around at some of the euro sports with
the big hoop wheels as the snarl on by. This is a good faith estimate on
my part.
Or even, go by a Cadillac dealer and take a look at the window sticker
of a Cadillac truck that has these same components on them. Be prepared
for serious sticker shock.
But those are the popular parts these days, lets face it and there is
nothing wrong with that.
This has been fun.
Hope it helped you figure out some of your solutions.
Return safe from the area of the world you are in.
John.