Re: [AMC-List] AMX disk brake kit for 62 classic

Re: [AMC-List] AMX disk brake kit for 62 classic

> i am looking for anyone with amx disk brakes for parts. i have a 62
> classic 2
> door i am doing a little bit of rodding out on. im not sure if they
are
> stock
> on all amx's, but the bendix 4 piston calipers are prefered.

The old Bendix four piston look a lot like new Baer and Wilwood brakes,
but there are some engineering differences in the way they seal. The
old Bendix are really bad about leaking and wearing the bores to an egg
shape. Newer materials has something to do with wear also. It's common
to bore the Bendix calipers out and install stainless steel sleeves.
All rebuilt ones that you find today will be sleeved. Heat's probably
the main culprit -- those things used 1/4" thick solid rotors. If you
do use them, have the rotors drilled and slotted for better cooling. As
John Elle mentioned, the single piston brakes are just as good or
better than the old Bendix four piston. But the AMX kit you mentioned
to me in an e-mail will bolt on.

For those who don't know, Aero makes a modern front disc brake kit with
an aluminum hub. It's a bit pricey at around $850, but all new parts
and bolts on any 1950-83 AMC even though it's listed as AMX/Javelin.
One of the guys on the AMC Forums (www.amcforums.com) is a dealer and
has some pics up. Go to the Forum and search the brake/suspension
section.

> also, i forgot to mention, i am having a hard time finding disk
brake
> kit that
> will go onto amc 20. ford 8.8 looks close to the right bolt pattern.
but
> then
> again so does the SMALL 9"

WSC Motorsports makes a rear disc kit for the AMC 20
(http://www.classicone.com/wsc/catalog/amc/amc_per1.htm). It's $759 but
includes everything, even calipers with parking brake built in. You can
also use one of the universal kits from Speedway
(www.speedwaymotors.com). These come with weld-on caliper brackets and
slip on rotors (slip on like a drum). Use GM calipers with or without
parking brakes (you can use front calipers). To use these you cut the
drum backing plates around the axle tube flange to retain the axle and
seal.