Re: [AMC-List] Twitchy fast ratio steering

Re: [AMC-List] Twitchy fast ratio steering

I think the caster on my American is up to about 4* positive. It tracks nice and straight this way and corners well. What I do with these old Bias ply original equipment cars is take the caster up as far as it will go and match it side to side to the one that comes out the least towards positive. As in if one side comes out 4 and one 6, I go 4 on the pair. It makes the steering a little heavy coming off center, but that is usually not a problem with the old overboosted 60's P/S systems. You can get a caster camber gauge for about $40 and do it yourself with a little time and patience. Just be careful and read up on the basics. Do your test driving someplace safe! --
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net
Morgantown, WV