Re: [AMC-List] Twitchy fast ratio steering

Re: [AMC-List] Twitchy fast ratio steering

Snip
I do a lot of LA freeway driving, 100
miles/day 3 days a week, maybe that's tweaked my brain :-)
SNIP

If you have the front end aligned with a little bit more positive caster
there will be more of a positive self centering of the steering. This
should stabilize things for the freeway hauls. I do a bit of them my
self too although not as often as I used to.
If you are close to zero or negative (and some alignment charts indicate
that negative is o.k.) the car will have a tendency to wander as self
centering will have been dialed out. This is a bit uncomfortable as you
are always correcting for this. I think it is something you have to
pressure the "alignment technician" to do in some cases. I'd shoot for 2
degrees myself but that is a personal preference.
With P205 60's on the front and P245 60's on the rear and the short
wheelbase the beasty can get a bit touchy.
John