Re: [AMC-List] Door hinge problems.

I never had a hinge pin go bad, but I never had an AMC car that did not
need at least the drivers' door brass looking bearings replaced due to
advanced terminal wear.  As far as the weight of the car door goes half
the weight of a Pacer is in both front doors. I also have yet to see an
AMC car that the front end is not completely toasted. I just spent 3
hours today pressing in bushings on a 68 AMX upper and lower control
arm. Half that time was rebuilding one lower control arm. It never
ceases to amaze what a truly lousy design that piece is. Yet it was
produced with no changes for many many years.
On the other hand the 1991 Dodge Grand Caravan that I bought last
November and sold last month with 300,000 miles on it and enough
advanced neglect and abuse to make it look worse than all but one of my
AMC projects when purchased had a solid front end requiring no more
repairs than replacing the lower ball joints and all doors opened and
closed like they were new except the slider. It would slide right off
onto the ground if you pushed it open with too much vigor.
John.