Re: [AMC-List] More Valve Cover Woes

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 02:33, Mr. AMC wrote:
> Tom aren't you afraid of when the what ever is rubbing against the
> inside of the valve cover is going to put metal particles in the oil? If
> you take the valve cover off you should see where the rub is.

I drove it for 50 miles and it shut up. It was pretty subtle. The cover
is a PITA to get on/off, I'd have to order antoher gasket, etc...

I assume the new gasket is a few ten thou thinner. Cheap SOBs. It was a
Felpro brand.
>  How
> did the valve cover fit against the firewall by the wiper motor? My
> friend had a 78 Concord AMX with a 258 4 speed and when he had the
> engine rebuilt the shop doing the work  installed an aluminum valve
> cover and it looked like they got out the BMF mechanic's hammer and beat
> the firewall to death at the body seam under the wiper motor. It looked
> like a real hack job.

I didn't take a good photo of the mod, but you can just barely see it
here:

http://wps.com/AMC/1970-AMC-Hornet/images/engine-pluggy-side.jpg

from this page,

http://wps.com/AMC/1970-AMC-Hornet/May2005.html

describing "dropping in" a late 258 into the older chassis. Drop-in,
assuming of course you don't count modding the valve cover and moving
the engine/trans forward 1".

The modification was fairly easy (meaning under 4 hours). I took about
1" of height off the back end of the valve cover, about 2" in from the
back. A rectangular section, with a hacksaw. Filed it square. Then I
bent a piece of 3/16" aluminum in a simple "L" that bolted inside the
valve cover to block out the rectangular notch; filed the "L" 'til it
blocked out the cutout section neatly, then screwed and epoxied (JB Weld
or that other one like it, can't recall the brand) it smooth and level.
Once cured I painted it wrinkle black. It's a pretty kludge.

Still had to move the engine forward 1". I also drilled a 1/2" hole just
above that back valve cover bolt, inside the wiper motor box, so that I
can reach the bolt vertically with an allen wrench. No way you'd ever
get a wrench or nutdriver back there otherwise.

It's tight, but reliable, plenty of clearance, and servicable. Still
pisses me off though. I should have got an older head (I'm carbed) or
switched to EFI, but I didn't want to deal with the "oh, it's a drop-in"
issues regarding brakes, spring towers, etc...