Re: converting to electric wipers...NEED MANY PARTS

Re: converting to electric wipers...NEED MANY PARTS

 Unfortunately, I believe that doing the conversion requires doing a little
more than replacing the motor ( obviously ), I think the actual wiper
linkages to the wiper arms themselves are different between the vacuum and electric
motors ( different lengths ), so you'll need the internal arms ( inside the
cowl ), as well as the wiper arm posts that the arms mount to, to make this
conversion work. And, of course you'll need the wiper switch on the dash, the
wiring harness for it, etc. Not sure if the car was wired for electric, so you may
need to get the 4-wire harness cut out of a Gremlin or Hornet car to fit.
I have a '70 Hornet that has ( still ) vacuum wipers, and when I first
tried to replace the motor, noticed the arm linkages wouldn't fit on the electric
motor! Then found out you have to get the electric ones off a donor car. So,
just a heads-up on THAT aspect, if you didn't plan on it, you'll get a
surprise when you go to try to install the motor.
One OTHER trick you might try, is installing a "vacuum" reservoir on the
car, Hot Rodders who are using a "hot" cammed motor have very low vacuum at
idle, so will install a small tank to pick up "more" vacuum ( now, how can you
have "more" of nothing? LOL ). This allows them to run their vacuum accessories.
Might want to try a Speed shop for this setup.
But, simply put, a vacuum wiper system is inadequate these days, and it
would be nicer to have the electric. I never finished the conversion on my
Hornet, as I took it off the road due to needing various expensive suspension
repairs at the time. Might have to bring it back online one day. I need another
spare car to drive. :)
Well, that's my input, good luck on your upgrades, Rebecca.

Jerry in Virginia
1 Hornet, 1 Pacer, 8 Gremlins...