Re: Test

Here in Connecticut we too can apply for Antique plates on a vehicle 25 years or older, however we don't have the show/parade limitation anymore.
We also have issues with the sniffer tests on vehicles under 25 years old. Testing is not required on vehicles 25 years or older. The pass rate is fairly high and there is currently a bill before the house to eliminate the emissions program, but it doesn't look like it has enough support to pass. It’s $20 for the test, another $20 if your late. If you fail, you have to spend $450 at a state approved repair facility on emission related repairs before they waiver the vehicle and that is only for two years. After two years, you have to go through the same routine again to get it waived again. It sucks. My Dakota has a number of engine modifications (cam, headers, high flow cat, etc…) and usually fails when I have it tested. It comes close but not quite low enough. I refuse to have some clown at a state approved facility mess with it so I drive it with an expired sticker. If I get stopped, it’s a $60 ticket. If I get stopped once a year, I figure I’m ahead of the game.

> Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 22:59:20 EDT
> From: twa1950@xxxx
> Subject: Re: Test
>
> In Kentucky when a car gets 25 year old you can apply for a historic license
> then you don't have to have it tested. The only trouble is that with this
> tag you are only supposed to drive the car to car shows or parades. Which
> will be fine with me. If you want to drive the car every day you have to
> keep having it tested. Around here it is really stupid. The only counties
> that have it are Jefferson where Louisville is and one or two around Ciny.
> The pass for cars less than 5 years old is 99.5%. The pass rate for older
> cars is about 92 or 93%. The failure rate was so low about 3 or 4 years ago
> that they made it twice as tough and we still have these rates. A couple of
> states reps. did studies and they found there is more pollution being created
> my people waiting in the long lines to get there cars tested then could ever
> be caused by the 4 or 5% that fails. My Gremmie passes with flying colors
> every year but I can't wait to the year 2003. I hate waiting in line and
> paying the $11.50 tax

Walt Felix
88 Dakota Sport 4x4, 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4 and 67 Barracuda Coupe 340/4Speed
Walt@xxxx
HTTP://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
HTTP://WWW.MoparsinMotion.COM