My reasoning for getting disc brakes.

My biggest reason that I want disc brakes is just the fact that they
will stop me better and the biggest one is that when I put my new
rims on my Gremlin, they dont lay perfectly flat against the drum. It
seems to cause a slight wobble. They have what looks like a small
weight on them. Like you use to balance a tire and it sticks out just
enuff to not let my rims set flat. The factory rims set just outside
it and it never bothered them, but my new ones wont. Can I grind that
weight off or will it cause the drum to be out of balance? Tnx, Rod