Re: Cold-natured Gremlin...what year, Mildred?

Re: Cold-natured Gremlin...what year, Mildred?

 Well, the one I'm working on now is the '78 GT...I was working on the
'74....The early Gremlin carbs ( like my '74 232 1-bbl ) have a manually
adjustable automatic choke, it is required to be adjusted in the Fall for
cold weather, and in the Spring for warm weather. If it's taking that long to
warm up, then it's probably set at it's "warm weather" setting. Or set so far
open, that its not functioning. One way to check....let the car sit
overnight. Then, in the morning, go out and take off the air cleaner top, and
hit the throttle just once to "set the choke"...then look down the carb
throat. If it closes, then it's ok. If it stays open, or only closes slightly
off vertically open, then it's mis-adjusted. How is the idle when the car
starts? is it fast, or does it require you to keep your foot on the gas and
feather it constantly? A warm-weather adjustment would be about half-way
closed, in winter, it would be almost all the way closed. Even in warm
weather, all the way open isn't enough to make it idle smooth until it warms
up. So, you have a few things to check out. Good luck, keep us informed on
your Gremmer. :o)

Jerry