Re: Illusive Gremmies

--- In gremlintime@xxxx, Kevin Hauser <grinding_gremlin@xxxx> wrote:
> Another reason there arn't many around, The body's
> were very crappy. They were assembled sloppy w/ weak
> parts.

Hey, I'm new to the Gremtime list, and fairly new to the hobby but
I've read enough and now bought and sold enough AMCs to know the
Gremmies were assembled just like any other AMC. They got the
same "deep dip" rustproofing and the metal gauge was the same,
welding standards the same as any other 70s AMC.

I also heard the metal they were using back in
> the 70's had a high acid content therefore they
> practically rusted on the show room floor.

Acid content in the metal? Give me a break. There is no "acid
content" in metal, unlike the cheap papers some paperback books are
published on. Metal does not self-destruct. Bi-metal corrosion,
yes. Common in aluminum airplanes and perhaps it could be a problem
with aluminum bodied cars. Not with AMCs.

Good
> motors, bad body. If you really think about it they
> were built to be cheap basic transportation to last
> about 10 years max then scrapped or traded in.

Built to be cheap basic transportation, yes. That's the whole reason
you don't see many today. They were bought for economy, by middle
class folks who used the heck out of them. They were not valued as
collectable until the last few years. Unfortunately, by that time
most were gone. They were maintained economically too...which means
if it still runs and drives...drive it. Don't bother fixing the
dents, patching the seats, sweeping the taco wrappers out, and don't
wipe the dog's feet before a trip.

We are
> fortunate we have gremlins lasting over 30 years!! we
> have the lucky few survivors!

Indeed we do.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA