Re: [gremlintime] Digest Number 416

> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:35:24 EST
> From: Gremlingts@xxxx
> Subject: AM/FM/Cassette Radio w/CD input to fit Gremlins...
>
> A friend of mine just installed a new Radio Shack radio in his '74 Hornet,
> but will fit a Gremlin as well. Here's his message.... " It's just an AM/FM
> cassette, but it does have a CD in-put jack where you can plug in a portable
> CD player! That's pretty cool I thought! FYI, if you are ever looking for
> this radio and it will fit into your Gremlin with NO cutting of the dash, go
> to Radio Shack and buy the two post AM/FM cassette radio. It's made by Tandy
> corp but it's called Optima. It fit's into the existing radio slot with NO
> cutting of the dash at all and you can angle it's face plate and make it
> fit. Also, normally it's a $100 stereo but they are discontinued now, so
> they are only $49.99!! Once they run out of stock of them though, they won't
> be getting anymore in. It's the ONLY radio I've found that will fit into our
> cars. Just an FYI in case you are interested. "
> So, if you're in the market for a radio that fits, is relatively cheap,
> and can run a CD player off of it, this might be the thing! I'll see about
> getting one after my next paycheck comes in. :)
>
> Jerry

Jerry, I went out and bought one, but it doesn't look like it will fit. It is considerably
longer than the stock radio, and a little longer than one I previously tried to install that
also didn't fit. The only explanation I can think of is, was this Hornet a non a/c car? The
duct that feeds the dash vents and makes radio installtion a pain might not have been put on
some cars. By angle the faceplate, do you mean install the whole unit at an angle?

--
Daniel Modlin
Burbank, CA.