Cecil county .. 3 red/white/blue Gremlins...8-second AMC, too!!

Cecil county .. 3 red/white/blue Gremlins...8-second AMC, too!!

 Well, as usual, the drag strip show was entertaining....there were 3
R/W/B Gremlins this year running the quarter. One under 10 seconds, the
others under 13, I think. White, orange, and dark green Gremlins also ran
the track, although well above what these guys normally run! :) There weren't
as many cars this year as last, the green Rambler wagon wasn't there, but
there were a few others that hadn't been before, and some improved cars, such
as the '70 Matador, that could lay out some smoke in the burnout lanes. But
one of the best shows was a yellow rail dragster that showed up with a big
AMC-powered motor, rear-engined, that was doing 8.30's in the quarter! Had it
going up againest a yellow AMX, the " Bad Banana ", a few times! This year, I
stayed mostly downstream, in the rear, and got alot of awesome burnout shots
of the cars warming the tires. I had to stay close to the vending area, as I
was selling stuff, so I didn't get many head-on shots of the cars coming down
the strip. But lots of smoke in this years shots! Can't wait to see the
results of my photographic efforts. :) I"ll be sure to post them to my new
Photo Album in Gremlintime.
I sold about $51 worth of AMC toys; a Tyco Autoloader HO train car with
AMXs, and a bunch of the JL Thunderjet Javelins. Didn't sell the '69 Jav
hood, nor the Mopar Cragar mags. Dang, coulda used that money! But, on a nice
note, Barbara drove the '74 bronze Gremlin to Cecil, 250 miles roundtrip,
without a hitch. It won't idle smooth (yet), but other than some surging at
the stoplights, Barbara reported it was a fun car to drive! I drove my old
Chevy truck loaded with the parts. I got alot of sun, as did she, and we got
the best vending spot getting there late, right by the staging area, and we
could see all the action right behind the truck.
The trip home was no problem, and neither truck nor Gremlin gave any
problems, although my truck stuttered once meeting a friend to caravan up
with his '73 Hornet 4-dr sedan. But other than that, it was uneventful to and
from Cecil. Great weather, slightly windy, that kept the 80 degree heat off
of everyone so there wasn't much sweating. Unfortunately, that meant no flys,
so Barbara only sold 4 of her AMC / AMX flyswatters , we were hoping to do
much better on her hand-crafted wackers. She also had a hubcap full of
plastic canvas AMC keychaings she made, for $1.75, but only sold one. Hard to
get AMCers to release any money! Hopefully we'll sell some more stuff at our
Potomac Rambler show next Saturday, Sept. 8th, in Upper Marlboro, MD.
Well, that's my "longwinded" report of Cecil, I hope to get the pictures
developed this week(end), and get something to the Album before too long.
And, I will have to start looking for a job, now that my company has
basically folded. But I'm not gonna worry about it too much this week. So,
everyone be cool, and see ya on the AMC super-highway sometime!

Jerry
Woodbridge , VA