[BaadAssGremlins] Re: exploding amc door glass

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: exploding amc door glass

Funny you mention exploding door glass......my little 74 Hornet Sportabout passenger glass blew up 2 weeks ago.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMX/74-hornet-42.jpg

 I jumped in car to go to FedEx and rolled down driver side window, then reached over to roll down passenger side window and BOOM right in my face. Luckily I closed my eyes quickly as it blew all over face, down shirt, inside car. The heat just took it out I guess, it has been 97-105 here for over month, day after day. I contacted Mike Lakin who is parting out some Hornet, Concord & Eagle wagons as the door glass will interchange from 70-77 Hornet, 78-83 Concord & 80-88 Eagle 4 door and wagons and he had one, but was busy with other things.

So on fluke....I called Ten Acres Auto Salvage in Houston that I bought a 68 Javelin from....in 1984! They have a hotline service connected to about 350 junkyuards, salvage yards and what not in metro area, and a place called Pete's Auto Salvage in Porter, Texas, about 50 miles up Hiway 59 had a door glass, tint, on shelf, $35. It was dated on the tag showing it had been pulled from a long ago crushed car back in 1985!

So hopped in the 82 Concord DL wagon

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMX/amc-wagons-for-sale.jpg

with the boys and headed around beltway up to Porter and picked it up. The kids had never been to junkyard so quite a treat for them. I have already installed it and looks great, rolls up and down fine. The glass is thinner than AMX & Javelin glass though, really paper thin on the wagons.

2 days after my door glass blew out a customer emailed me from Portland, OR asking if I have any back glass for a 2 door Rebel as his back glass suddenly exploded also.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com