Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Volcano Wheels My Way

Once again, Doc works for free...........I need more friends like you!!  Just got 'The Mix' back from my friend who completely stripped the car to bare metal and started over. He had the car for 11 months (from last November till Oct. 10th) he claimed to have worked 490 hours on it. Don't get me wrong, it looks better than it did the day I brought it home from the dealership in Oct of 1973, and even tho he only charged me $10.00 an hour + materials, I'm pretty much in the 'dog house' now. Consider this... I only paid $2800 for it when it was bran-new. LOL I guess you get what you pay for. Pix will follow soon.   Gary..'TheMix2'

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr. AMC <AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx>
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, Nov 25, 2009 6:06 am
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Volcano Wheels My Way

Sorry no pic's yet Mike. I liked the end result so much I did it to the horn button you sent me. I had just inatially with my Dremil pemoved the Jeep logo from the center and brush painted it flat black and with model paint touched up the R/W/B AMC  emblem. Having one of the completed Volcanos sittig on my wrk bench and the horn button next to it gave me the idea. I removed the AMC emblem with the Dremil. Using the same method as with the Volcanos except using .040 sheet plastic I made the center and emblem the same way. The reason for the .040 was to make sure the emblem fit under the plexiglas lens that I made to snap in in place of the factory plastic one which never survives.
I used 1/8 plexi glass for the lense. Using my Dremil to taper the edges so it would snap in. Then many hours of hand sanding with sandpaper from 220# to 2000# and polishing it with Mothers Mag Wheel Polish
to make it crystal clear with not a scratch showing. It turned out so nice I popped the Horn button off my orange Hornet which had a Jeep horn button also and did the same thing to it. I use clear GE Silicone clear to glue in the emblems on the horn button as JB Weld does not hold on vinyl. Total cost of everything ZERO!!!!! I ahd all the materials and it was just my time involved.  Now that's the Rambler Mentality.
"Doc"