[BaadAssGremlins] Toledo Torch

I happened on this on ebay this evening, and boy, did that bring back some memories. Our
front yard down in Corpus Christi, TX was interstate 37. From our front porch, the feeder
road (2009 Antelope St at corner of Doss, go google earth it) was about 10 feet away.
Across the street is a hill up to the big interchange of Crosstown Expressway and I-37,
which heads to downtown less than mile away. On Water Street where I-37 ends (because it
deadends at Shoreline and Corpus Christi Bay) was All American Motors one of the
dealerships my dad worlked at.

I never knew the names of these things we played with as a kid. The work crews would drop
them off and they were filled with kerosine(?) but would burn all night. It was fun to
ride our bikes and kick them and watch them roll around as a fireball. All the kids in the
neighborhood, about 20 of us, seemed to have a collection of them. Don't know why, but the
work crews would turn them off during the day and simply toss them in pile in our, or
other yards for later use, so we kept a few.

Now these have been replaced with those flashing round lights. My kids have whole
collection of those from wrecks we have seen on I-10 about a mile away, so we pick them
up. They have big battery in them and will flash for about a week. What is neat about
those is somewhere in the darned thing is a eye, that is, when you shine light on it, or
sun comes up...it turns off automatically. So the kids use flashlights on them in back
yard.

Back to these Toledo Torches.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Toledo-Torch-Rail-Road-Flare-Smudge-Pot_W0QQitemZ260480814582QQcategoryZ95147QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63

I am not sure this big link will stick, but if not, simply go search www.ebay.com for
'toledo torch' and you will see these little bombs. Sure brought back some memories from
40 years ago seeing one and sometimes I am Rambler slow, but took 40 years to learn the
actual name of one.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx