[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Big 3 carmakers beg for $25B, warn of catastrophe

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Big 3 carmakers beg for $25B, warn of catastrophe

Agreed. I remember Chrysler putting out K-cars and Iococca saying that they were a good product. Going back further, AMC had a major strike in 1970 that cost therm 36,000 cars. Seems UAW wanted more money. Think about it for a minute. If each of those lost calender year cars from production, all 36,000 of them, were, say, a $4000 'low end' Ambassador, think of how much money that would have been. AMC had just bought Jeep from Willys for $40 million dollars, a large sum in 1970 bucks so even if each of the 36,000 cars had been a base $1998.00 Gremlin, still sizable chunk of change.

Years ago (warning, logn dranw out eddie story here, but sort of readers digest condensed version) back in the 1970s I worked for Levi's Strauss down in Corpus Christi. There was about 800-1000 employees in this big plant. I made something like $4 a hour, not bad for low end pay, but managers made more, something like $8 a hour. Plus lots of benefits us low enders didn't get. Seems like they always wanted more and more, and one time they threatened to strike and shut down the plant (we made all types of jeans there) and Levi's simply had enough and decided to build their plant 200 miles south, on the Mexican side of border. So everyone lost their jobs, myself included, and the managers at the 'new' plant  were not making no $8 a hour, they were making $8 every 3-4 days (maybe $30-$40 week USD) and were happy to have the job. Sort of like being pushed too far with demands.

I was surprised to see that GM automakers make average of $76 a hour. Not saying they are not worth it, I am sure they are. However, what is to keep GM from doing like Levi's did and simply shutting down and moving operations to a different country where wages are cheap? China? Mexico? India making Tata's?

Sure have been tons of other companies shiop jobs off overseas in recent memory.

Back to the cars, I personally don't think the feds should bail out GM, Ford or Chrysler. To me at least, freedom means freedom to succeed, or freedom to fail. I can't think of any vehicle from GM I would just 'have to have' most are uninspiring little boxes. I did rent a Malibu last summer and was impressed with the gas mileage and interior however. So would consider a Malibu or Impala! Maybe.

For too many years, GM and Ford have had the Iococca approach to cars. This is what we built you must buy it even though it is a piece of monkey dung that will not ever see 70K to 100K miles and your new best friend will be a mechanic. I don't care for imports and would never own one (maybe a Jaguar perhaps) but for too long, Detroit simply shoved out shit expecting the American (and other markets) to buy whatever they shove onto the plate, not realizing that the plate was ever expanding (or at least the appetizer was!) figuring 'if they built it, you have no choice but to buy it'.

What a mentality. Sure need to bring back American Motors. It's amazing how many of their cars, some 20 years after they have been gone from American market in getting sucked up by Mopar, how many AMC's are STILL on the road 20 years later. Sort of a testimonial as to how well those were built. Too bad Mopar didn't learn a lesson (Ford and GM too) from AMC on how to build a long lasting car, reasonable, on a shoestring budget from clay development to actual production to showroom. Maybe some of that $750 billion (what a staggering amount) that each of us and our grandchildren will pay for should go back to resurrecting American Motors!

And like a stray dog you feed one time, who is to say that the $25 billion "float" GM and other automakers want, like feeding a stray dog, it will come back. Again. You can be sure of that.

As I look at these huge full size page ads from the automakers in the Houston Chronicle over and over (gee, there is massive waste of money on FULL PAGE ADS)  pleading to try to get public on their side, warning of dire concenquences if just one of them fail, 3 million jobs lost, suppliers, ect, I just scratch my head. I seriously don't think anything would change if they did get that sum.

Hopefully none of you are facing pink slips from all that mess. I say let them fail. Then restructure. Tear up all those contracts, get innoviative with designs, make cars that last, find out what people really want, don't EVER paint another damned car SILVER, sick of looking at silver cars, and quit wasting resources like new Challenger. More flex fuel stuff, as one day gas prices go back up, electric cars, hydrogen, something, anything. That is, if any of these automakers survive. Watch for more of what happened today when Ford unloaded their shares of Mazda after already unloading Land Rover, Aston Martin and Jaguar

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-planning-to-sell-mazda-stake.html

Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx