Re: [BaadAssGremlins] USA Car Biz

Good points. However on the big ass Toyota Tundra, the plant that makes them west of me in San Antonio shut down for months due to....no demand. Also worth noting, Nardelli, the CEO of Chrysler once was the CEO of Home Depot and left with a massive 'golden parachute' when that company stock was down. Ironic to see him with hand out in front of Congress a few years later. Tom mentions the Sebring and accord both made in US. My Eagle 1981 wago has GM 151 engine from factory. Gets a whopping 25+ mph (was touted in 1981 by AMC as 29mph!) still worth noting. Good little car. Almost 30 years old at that.

Last time I went to pick a part here, the one on West Road
www.houstonpickapart.com

usually has over 1500 cars. Steel prices have now dropped drastically also:

http://www.scrapmetalpricesandauctions.com/

but the PYP has a mess of Toyotas, Nissans, Volvo, BMW, Honda, many cars touted as long life, dependable and other adjectives...in there, so many in fact that there is a special section for 1990-current cars! So much for that theory, but my humble opinion is of that anything will last a long time if taken care of, hell, we know that, we are driving 1972 Ambassador SST wagon and 68 Rebel convertible daily, at least I am in 2008!

Something I didn't mention. And should. I have a huge file on my site dedicated to AMC Dealerships:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amcdealerships/amdealers.htm

dedicated to my dad who worked for AMC for 18 years.....and worked for Toyota for 4-5 years also. If.....the manufacturers do crater, you know dealers will take hits. To me, that would be sad, as many dealers are backbones of communities. Need a sponsor for your little league team, many times a dealer steps in and sponsors it. Or sponsors fun runs, marathons, cerebeal palsy, clinics, you name it, there are many large and small unsung heros dealerships, don't matter what marque, that have made big differences in their communities by stepping up to the plate when needed.

And while you see Wagoner, Nardelli and other CEO's squirm in front of Congress asking for a piece of pie (check out GM stock, last time it traded this low WAS IN 1942)

 http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:GM

but while you see these bigwigs, with massive salaries and options beg for money for the companies they "ran" (into the ground, my words) it is as usual...the small guys who get screwed like the dealers and their workers.

Image problem for US automakers? I would say yes due to decades of churning out some shit. And as I mentioned earlier, while I don't care for anything by GM, I 'did' like that Malibu I recently rented, and had a choice of over 15 different cars, US and imports, at Hertz when I rented but chose that one. Maybe that is what the automakers need to do is reinvent the wheel for lack of better term, but don't think it will happen.

Ya'll (insert your age here!) ok, most of ya'll remember AMC debuting the big ass Matador coupe in 1973 (late 1973) right when OPEC decided to cut off oil to US. Suddenly you have poor little AMC, who had invested all this hard earned money into this boat, trying to sell it when people were dumping Grand Villes, Cadillacs, Bonnevilles, LTDs and other gas guzzlers, due to gas crisis. So AMC quickly changed course and let people know in ads that the 'new Matador comes standard with the trusty, dependable, and gas saving six cylinder' however..it still looked like a big ass car of which people didn't want. So timing is everything I guess. I could go on here about how if AMC had a good four cylinder in their lineup in 1973-1974 they would have sold more Gremlins and Hornets that legally could!
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com