[BaadAssGremlins] Huricane Ike

Thanks for the emails and calls concerning hurricane Ike and it's approach
towards Houston& Galveston.  First, if you ordered something from me
recently, please
expect some delays in getting it to you, as with hurricanes....you usually
lose electricity, internet, phone, water and other services shut down like
US Mail, and companies like FedEx, UPS, ect, also ground flights (Houston
Hobby airport shut down this morning 09.12.08 at 9:00am CST and George
Bush/Intercontineltail is shutting down in 45 minutes at 1:00pm) but
everythign grinds to halt and just like hurricane Gustav which hit Louisiana
3 or so weeks ago, there are many people over there in Gustav'a path STILL
without power, running water and other things.

So please be patient, and hold off on the calls and emails to me as there is
probably a better than hell chance I will not get them! But keep Paige,
Noah, Jacob and me in thoughts; we are all boarded up (and hunkered down
with things I usually don't eat like donuts, honeybuns, healthy cereal
stuff, and enough food to go for 4-7 days with no power) but unfortunately
didn't have any place to put the 74 Javelin, 74 AMX and 69 BBO Javelin that
just came in so they are under the oak and elm trees, of which I only hope
those 100 foot trees will withstand 70-120 mile per hour wind! We will know
next week however!

A comment on those people who didn't want to leave the areas under MANDATORY
EVACUATION. You better have a "waterproof will" somewhere so they can ID
you. Harsh but I have went thru about 16 hurricanes thru the years, and
while some are big Texas sized thunderstorms, others are sheer hell on earth
for 8-12 hours straight. And there is absolutely nothing in Galveston and
those areas that can hold up to a 20+ foot storm surge anyhows.

And what property will you be protecting when it is gone? And hospitals, EMS
and rescue can't (and won't risk their people) to get to you? (Insert Eddie
hurricane story here!) Back in the 1970s we used to have 'hurricane parties'
down in Corpus Christi. Good way to get people together, cases of beer,
booze and uh, stuff. It's not too much fun seeing a roof lift off above your
head and fly away and all you and biddies are holding is a bong.

A few notes also, there have been already 100 rescues off Bolivar and in
Galveston where a really big fire burns at/near Yatch Club but no one can
reach it.

Something else, you Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana people know
what I am talking about but when you have a big storm surge, there are
SNAKES everywhere. We used to go dow to McGee beach in Corpus Christi in the
60s/70s (we lived a mile inland from CC bay) and beat snakes in the surf.
Some were big snakes and let dad handle them, and as soon as we would smack
them, the seagulls that were brave enough (or dumb enough) to still be
flying in 40+ mph wind, would scarf them up.

Also, if you have kids, it is tough on them so maybe let them stay with
parents as the wind sound is horrifying and relentless. One day I will tell
you abuot hurricane Celia, Aug 3rd, 1970 that hit Corpus Christi. I still
have nightmares about that 500+ pound fan flying off the Coca Cola company
next door and travelled about 100 yards and tore our roof off and suddenly
rocks from the same roof were flying in fast as BB gun, taking out glass,
photos, mom's back, lights, so really important to let kids know mom and dad
close if you got kids.

Oh and if any of you are watching this hurricane reality show on the major
channels, make note of the water rising. You have a LOT of places already
flooding.....and NO rain has fallen. The reason why is the Ike is pushing up
a ton of water into Galveston bay and surrounding areas, so some have
already had 9 feet of water come in, but Ike is still hours from landfall.
And when it lands you have the storm surge expected to be as high as 20-25
feet in places like ship channel! Amazing. Also watch for some reporters to
be flying sideways, not sure why 1000+ reporters and their crews go into a
mandatory evaucation zone.

Anyways, with that in mind, here are some sites of interest as this massive
(if hurricane Ike was superimposed on Texas...it would cover a whopping 93%
OF THE STATE) but as Ike moves in tonight/tomorr/Sun here are some site's
for ya'll to look at if you have electricity:

Live Houston Radar
This is a good live feed until the wind will take it out.

http://www.click2houston.com/weather/index.html

Houston Transtar
These are traffic cams live all over out freeways, real interesting views
showing not only traffic, but wind, rain, expect some of them to be kocked
off poles while others will be jumping around like a kid after eating bag of
skittles:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cctv/transtar/

Weather Channel live loop of Ike
This is no where near Ike as it is satellite loop. As I write this you can
see while still a Cat 2 or low Cat 3 hurricane, Ike's effects stretch from
into Mexico all the way to Florida, quite a huge system, facinating too,
sure wished that hurricane magnet Louisiana would take this one too.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm9/floater3_large_animated.html?from=hp_main_maps

And lastly, this is a small file off my site about hurricane Rita,

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/stuff/texas_vs_rita.htm

which was a Category 5 hurricane which just missed Houston in 2005, but was
the largest evacuation in US history, and while this hurricane Ike is
currently 110mph (111mph would be Cat 3, big deal) Ike has a windfield that
is larger than Katrina and also Rita's several years ago, quite amazing and
it has one of the largest eye's I have ever seen, it was 77 miles across
earlier but now contracted down to 55 miles across.
Ya'll take care and again, if you recently bought something from
me....expect shipping delays. If you are trying to contact me, good luck!
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com
please don't call or email for about a week!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)