[BaadAssGremlins] Re: eagle rear end HELP/ADVISE wanted

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: eagle rear end HELP/ADVISE wanted

Thanks to all who have replied so far on this Eagle dilemma. I almost bought a 80 Spirit 151/AT yesterday to bring down, and tear rear end out of The 81 Eagle is still sitting over at the mechanic's shop, not bothering anyone, but still as gas prices continue to climb, would like to put it back on road ASAP, as it got 29mpg, compared to my 72 Ambassador at 14mpg and 68 Rebel SST conv at 10mpg (eh, ok, it is built up). So I'm gathering that a Cherokee rear axle will almost bolt in?

Secondly, anyone out there have a 3:08 or 3:54 rear end to sell? I am guessing that it is a 3:54 myself, even though there is a A with circle around it and 2, stamped on the axle tube just to the right (passenger side) of the pumpkin.

Also, is anyone positive that the front differential CAN indeed be disconnected should I find a rear end? I don't care if the 81 is 4x4 or not, as both my 82 and 88 Eagles, driven daily, are 4x4. 2WD on the 81 would be fine, as long as I can somehow put it back on the road in a reasonable amount of time. I really can't remember the last time I had a rear end go out, maybe in the late 1970s about 330+ AMCs ago. Well, with the exception of the time I went and ate that one POUND burrito at Mission Burritos that happened, this was result in my 77 AMX:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/refried_beans_seat.jpg

A little scorched earth policy I guess. Anyhows, thansk to all who have been replying on and off these online sites. I just bought a complete fliar set for the corners for this booger when this happened also. This photo shows it with two:

http://www.epage.com/js/mi/c0/1764174.html

but the material AMC used for 80-81 Eagle flairs is not the same as used for 82-88, which is more like a Saturn type bendable material, and can withstand heat, cold, UV and more and bounce back into shape. The 80-81 types get brittle and simply fall apart it seems.
Eddie Stakes

 =======================
 The 4-speed 151 should have a 3.54:1 ratio.  My buddy had the 151/4-speed Eagle in highscool.  I had the Spirit 1.51/auto (3.08:1).  He could ALWAYS beat me off the line ... I hated that, LOL!

  My dad has 2 Eagle parts cars.  One is a 1980 with full time 4wd.  258/4-speed car.  The other is a 1983 258/5-speed car.  Both are located here in Michigan ... a we bit of a drive from Tehas.

  The Eagle rearends a bit wider than the 2WD cars, if I remember correctly.  Kind of like a Wide Track Eagle rearend, LOL!

  I think that a Commanche Dana 44 (Metric Ton) will bolt in, also.

  If I remember correctly, the code might be stamped into the machined surface of the differential housing, to the right of the diff cover.  Check there, also.

  Greg Taylor :)  <><
========================
Eddie, if it performed pretty good with the 151 it MUST have a 3.54! But to be sure, just take the back cover off and count the teeth on the ring gear. 3.54 will have 46 teeth, 3.31 43, and 3.08 40. There's no way that four could have had anything less than a 3.08 gear, and I seriously doubt it's anything but the 3.54.

Just to please everyone, the pinion on all three has 13 teeth -- you might want to try to count pinion teeth, but I don't think it's necessary, and it would be hard to do without removing the differential first. If the 151 car had a 2.xx gear it would hardly get out of its own way, and have a bigger pinion gear (15-19 teeth). To find the actual ratio, divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the pinion gear, then drop all but two decimal places. 46/13=3.5484615, or 3.54. Some companies round to the last two places and would call AMC 3.54 gears 3.55, doesn't make much difference either way.
Frank Swygert
=======================
Eddie,
    IIRC, Jim Blair bolted a XJ Cherokee axle under an Eagle succesfully.
The Comanche axle is incorrect sinceit sits on top of the leaves and the Eagle is underslung.
   What you need to pull the swap off is just about any 4.0L auo rear axle from a small Cherokee.
The small Cherokees with autos get a 3:55 rear axle and they will also give you one piece axles.
Wheel bolt pattern is the same, ebrake cables should fit the XJ axle too.
The only thing that will need refitting is the shock mounts and possibly the rear drive shaft.
    With the scarcity of the 4cyl stick Eagles this would likely be the best way to go.
I think anything short of that 3:54 or 3:55 axle will leave you wanting...
Mark Price
=======================
The Comanche rear axle isn't a bolt in for the Eagle. You have to cut off the old springpads, which are on the bottom of the MJ axle and weld new ones on top 1 1/2" outboard from the MJ ones (same place the XJ ones go) I have done a couple already as you may have guessed. <G>
Jim blair
======================
Greg is correct -- the 2WD car rear axle is narrower than an Eagle. He's also correct about the XJ/MJ (Cherokee/Commanche) axle -- it's the same width as the Eagle. The Commanche axle is spring-under-axle and won't bolt right in. The Cherokee axle is spring-over-axle, and should work. The shock mounts are welded on the Chero axle, they just have to be cut off. Reports I've heard say it's a bolt-in after the shock mounts are cut off. All 4.0L Cheros with auto trans are 3.55 rear axles (same as 3.54 -- Jeep rounded up those years), so you should be able to easily find a replacement rear and leave the front alone.

Didn't think about that at first -- thanks for the reminder Greg!
Frank Swygert

Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825