[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Towing

Thanks Jay.  We are towing the car with a Dodge Ram 1500 and I've
decided to trailer it.  We towed my old Ford Escort when the tranny
blew on 40 west in New Mexico to Phoenix and the truck did fine.

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jay Nogg <jay.nogg@...> wrote:

>       Posted by: "Suezy" n2sweetrock@...
>       <mailto:n2sweetrock@...?Subject=%20Re%3ANeed%20some%20help%
20guys%21>
>         n2sweetrock <http://profiles.yahoo.com/n2sweetrock>
>

>         Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:51 pm (PST)
>
> Ok what is going to be the best way to tow a Gremlin???
> If it is towed with the front wheels on a tow dolly is there
> any potential problems for the car? I need some advice on how
> to tow my Grem home. Any help is really appreciated. I figured
> I would ask the experts! ;)
>
> Thanks!
>

> \\
>

> What are you using as a Tow Vehicle ?
>
> How far are you Towing ?
>
> Are you Towing in State or across State Lines ?
>
> Is there any rust in the front sub frames / rocker areas ?
>

> 1.  Many companies that Rent Tow Dollies have a List of
>     cars that they will and will not Rent a Tow Dolly to
>     depending on car and type of vehicle being Towed.
>
>     Some go and tell them they're Towing a Yugo - to get
>     around this precautionary Rule.
>
>     If something happens & you're paperworks doesn't match
>     the load - you're Liable for Everything - and your Car
>     Insurance will NOT cover you or the other guy regardless.
>

> 2.  If Towing a long distance - how fresh are your Brakes ?
>
>     How is the cooling system ?
>
>     On an Interstate you may find
>     you're rolling easily with the Traffic and suddenly have to
>     panic stop.
>
>     With a lighter weight Tow Vehicle, this can spell
>     Wreck - in bad weather, jack_knife or just a slide into
>     the vehicle in front of you: You're the Creme' in that Orio.
>
>     If you're Tow Vehicle is an Escalade, Explorer, Tahoe etc. -
>     you'll be OK.
>
>     If it's a pick up truck long bed - add some sand bags by the
tail gate.

> 3.  States have different Towing Laws - and many don't allow you
>     on an Interstate with a Tow Dolly. Some don't allow Tow Dollies
period.

> 4.  If you've Rust or suspect Rust, see about Renting a Bed style
>     Trailer where all 4 wheels are on it.
>

> **  And finally, if it is an Automatic Transmission - disconnect
>     the Drive shaft.  Wrap some plastic around the end of the Trans
>     Tail shaft & hose clamp it on to prevent losing Trans Fluid.
>
>     You cannot Tow say, a TorqueFlite Trans over 35mph for more than
>     10 miles with the Drive shaft in place - you're damage the
internals
>     since the pump won't be
>     engaged & spinning on the engine side.
>
>     When you load the car onto the Tow Dolly - drive a half mile and
>     Stop - re tighten the straps with a few extra 'clicks' .
>
>     If the Tow Dolly has chains built in - AFTER cinching down the
>     wheel straps tightly, the wrap the chains around the frame
tightly.
>     Straps come loose - rip etc. & a one sided connection could drag
>     you and yours into a guard rail.
>
>     If the Tow Dolly does not have Chains - find some - buy some -
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)