Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: V8 conversion

I have the eng & trans level & in the eng bay. Could it be that the mounts are on the wrong sides? Just a thought. Were your mounts put on the eng or crossmember first?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim <idahoamx@xxxxxxxxx>
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 12:29 pm
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: V8 conversion

Larry....

I have had the engine in & out of my Gremlin several times
and it is never easy....the engine needs to be level and I find
that it is easier to put the motor mounts on after you get the
engine down in the engine bay....when I put the 401 in this last
spring I left the valve covers off gives you a little more room
against the firewall..also for me I find that it works best with the
tranny (727) attached..other people do them seperate...but you do not
have much room...with engine bolted in you have an inch or less
between the engine and the firewall....it works best if you have a
helper..
Jim

--- In BaadAssGremlins@yahoogroups.com, Dennis jr Sinks <dsinks@...>
wrote:

> I ended up hacking 1/8th off the engine mount studs to get mine in.
> I still ended up smacking the new paint on the firewall though :(
>
> Larry <chvyclss@...> wrote:
> I have a problem with installing the eng/trans into a
Gremlin that had
> an original 6 cyc. I got a V8 front crossmember from John Rosa &
> replaced the whole front suspension. After lowering the eng into
the
> bay the mounts don't line up & the heads are against the firewall.
The
> mounts are on the engine & about 1"-2" in front of the crossmember.
Do
> I need to keep moving the engine around to make it fit or did I
install
> it wrong? This is my first conversion & I'm stumped. Please help
with
> any advice. I am really looking forward to getting the Gremlin on
the
> road by Xmas. Thanks, Larry in Florida