[BaadAssGremlins] Re: bias tires (was: Space saver spare inflation canni

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: bias tires (was: Space saver spare inflation cannisters)

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
<eddiestakes@...> wrote:

Hey Eddie, I appreciate your advice and your concern about the
safety of all and I would almost never compromise that for
appearances, however two points need to be made: 1). One thing you
may not be familiar with with regard to the Woodward Dream Cruise
here north of Detroit in August is that with 20,000 + cars and over
a weeks worth of cruising come Friday and Saturday the cruise turns
into a real crawl so not too much worry blowing out those bias
belteds when speeds don't get over 30 mph and of course "show" is
the name of the game not speed. (Well speeed when the cops aren't
crawling all over).       If you ever have an interest go to
www.woodwarddreamcruise.com to see past years highlights of cars
from all over. 2). I don't care what anybody says but nothing beats
on any of my 73 X's for class and originality a nice set of Goodyear
RWL tires. I have a metallic purple with white stripes with a set of
Radial T/As and it looks OK but not nearly as nice as the Maxi blue
with the Goodyears. The picture of Donnie's sweet 74 Grem X  on
Hemmings Classic Cars cover in May of last year says it all. Don't
give me Cooper, or Yokahama, or even Generals on these classics. You
have to go for the look and be damned if you blow one out due to dry
rot after 30+ years. Jut whip out the space saver spare and bitch
when the inflation cannister doesn't do a damn thing to help.
Gary

> In the "I should have died" category, in 1978 a hardcore GM friend
of mine who loved to floor his Delta 88 with a 455, Steve Murch, a
group of us had all skipped school one day and went to Padre Island
with him, he drove, and we chipped in gas and beer. Come back over
the causeway from Padre, there is a long straight, 3 mile stretch
into Flour Bluff near the Naval Air Station. He punched it and I
remember seeing the speedometer needle buried in 120, stuck there.
We were all drunk but I told him "hey, constables have been shooting
radar in Four Bluff latey, my brother got busted" and I can't tell
you how quickly that needle came back down to 40mph as we went into
the Bluff.

> I remember how much play there was in his steering wheel as he was
driving that fast, seemed 2-3 inches from side to side. And on the
left was a cement retaining wall, on the right, nothing but
saltwater in the bay; less than 2 feet from roadside. At his house
as we all went in for, duh, more beer, I looked at his tires.
His 'bias' tires....two of them were bald as Charles Barkley's
head.....and had STRINGS coming out of them. I can't believe 8-9 of
us had been doing 130-140 in that car old bald...bias...tires.

> I did go with Steve to the beach numerous times afterwards,
however, he would go in my 70 Javelin; Junior's Impala; or someone
else's car....not let him drive!
> Eddie Stakes'
> Planet Houston AMX
> 713.464.8825
> eddiestakes@...
> www.planethoustonamx.com
> email reply currently 5-9 days
> 8-19 day reply times, just call!

Galaxie. How the cops drove that thing on the bias tires at high
speed is beyond me. Swapped radials onto it and it hugged the road
like a Porsche.

>   Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@...> wrote:
>     Hi Gary, my suggestion would be that if you are going to go on
the Dream
>     Cruise, is toy get yourself some good radials. Bias tires
suck, even
>     original the cars are all over the road. That 71 Matador I had
a few years
>     ago with 14K miles had original bias ply tires and remember
driving it to
>     the Nationals 40 miles from me, car was all over the road with
them. I would
>     later put on some cheap NTB radials, 4 for $120 and what a
difference it
>     made, car stuck to road and din't know how to act. But stock
for stock sake
>     is one thing, stock vs safety issue is another. It's something
I go on about
>     (as usual) somewhere on my site: Bendix 65-71 calipers vs 72-
up Kelsey
>     Hayes; vacuum wipers vs electric wipers; even 65-71 boat
anchor Borg Warner
>     M-11/M-12 vs 904/727s. But your choice. If me? While redlines
and E70x14s
>     are great, especially if you show a lot; if you drive it a
lot, get some
>     radials, take care,
>     Eddie Stakes'
>     Planet Houston AMX
>     713.464.8825
>     eddiestakes@...
>     www.planethoustonamx.com
>     email reply currently 5-9 days
>     8-19 day reply times, just call!
>
>     >>
>     >> Thanks Eddie, I knew you would set me straight. (The
whippin with
>     > the Pacer weatherstrip was not bad either). The big problem
is
>     > hauling around 2 spares - one for show and one to use in
case of
>     > real emergency. My 30+ year old Goodyear RWL biased tires
are not
>     > going to hold out forever and who needs a blow out for the
Dream
>     > Cruise. I guess it is time to start saving for a solid set
of repro
>     > E70x14 Goodyears from Kelsey or Coker. Gary

>   Don't pick lemons.
>   See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)