Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Fw: steering column lock ignition questions

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Fw: steering column lock ignition questions

If I recall (and doing so from memory) his car has a 70-up style ignition
switch in column. Someone screwed it up. He is trying to replace or fix it
and I believe found some issues, mostly trying to see what will work and
don't work. If I recall I believe ignition is different for tilt and non
tilt column. But I believe he is also trying to change/interchange to GM
type. I mentioned to him also that many auto parts stores sell brand new AMC
in column ignition cylinders, with keys, for $20 or less and it even says
aMC on the box. Usually in the Help! section. But this is a slide in/out
replacement and I do not know how many years this particular auto store one
interchanges with although I think the box says 70-88.

I had a tilt column here in a 73 AMX I parted out and someone stuck
screwdriver inside it and 'fubarred' it badly. I thought I could simply buy
a replacement and remove old one but caused more damage attempting to remove
mystery clips inside column so ignition cylinder could come out. Eventally
after a hour in the 120+ degree heat inside the car here got to me and 8
pound sledgehammer got it out. Also got out wiring, turn cam, 2 spiders, and
the circular metal cover, but darn it, I got it out. Of course the whole
column was now destroyed unfortunately.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825